Metro Detroit Pagan Community Statement of Concern
METRO DETROIT, APRIL 12, 2018 — Actions and circumstances have necessitated, in the view of this body, an official statement regarding our position on several matters. Over the last year, the rise of “witch hunts”, “witch wars”, and what appears on its face to be a power imbalance are of concern to us.
Multiple organizations in the region are in internal and external crisis. Leadership positions are no longer based on community visions. The previous culture of service, vision, and upliftment is now one infected with backroom negotiations and breaches of promise. Rumors and hearsay are used to destroy character, without chance for rebuttal, in the public eye. The torches are lit and we see missteps, mistakes, and ignorant actions no longer being times for education, but times for total annihilation by social media attackers and mercenary courtiers.
Michigan moved from presumption of innocence, and subsequent actions against those who commit physical harm. Now the community punishes, with great zeal and relish, any perceived infraction no matter the relevance to the person’s position. Personal slights are magnified into full on reputation assassinations. The drive to foment conflict and cause factioning is in full swing, and we fear it has not yet reached its amplitude.
Of primary concern are the following:
- The hyperbolic reactions and consolidation of personal and organizational harassment against persons during a crisis without a community sit down meeting.
- The penchant for the total destruction of leadership without thought to restorative measures considered to the community.
- The removal of persons from positions of leadership based on non-public and personal relationships and affairs.
- The insidious climate of a McCarthy type marginalization of people based on differing ideas, tenets of spiritual practice, and political views.
- The fostering of conflict in what seems to be a premeditated path to an underground purge of said persons.
We urge our peers to step back a moment and consider their actions very carefully. How you proceed in the next year will set the stage for an incoming generation. Now is the time for open and honest public conversation and transparent airings of accusations and grievances.
For at least three in our community, they are hamstrung by this shift. Their character and actions were cast aside to rot, good works be damned. That is the risk of public service, though. However, usually the public is not swayed by private agendas so easily. How many stakes will be needed to feed your witch hunt fires? If this continues, when will you take your place in one next?
“A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion.” – Grantland Rice
The G.L.W.C. of Michigan was founded in 2012 to To Facilitate Workshops, Events, Classes, Community Outreach, and a Forum for the Magickal and Magickally Interested Communities.
G.L.W.C. of Michigan/Great Lakes Witchs Council